Eau Claire Market Redevelopment Plan - Open House
Wednesday, May 6, 2015
4:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Eau Claire Market
The City of Calgary is reviewing a proposal on behalf of Harvard Developments Inc to change the type of development allowed on the two blocks that form the current Eau Claire Market site. If approved by City Council, this proposal would allow for a mix of residential, commercial retail, and office space.
The proposal represents a significant potential upgrade to the current Eau Claire Market. At the same time, a number of concerns have been raised, including:
- The proposed development of a major commercial office tower as part of the project, even while the current Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP) for Eau Claire is intended to encourage its development “as a primarily residential neighbourhood.”
- Lack of certainty if the proposed changes to land use are approved that the project would then proceed on the basis of current proposals, unless land use changes are linked to specific project plans
- Some relaxation of current City sun shadow guidelines would be required meaning that potentially more of the current Eau Claire bPlaza would be in shadow.
- The Eau Claire Smokestack, a heritage structure, may be moved to a new location
- Plus 15 connections to the proposed project would be allowed
What are your views?
Residents of Eau Claire are encouraged to attend an Open House in the Eau Claire Market on Wednesday, May 6 to review the application and project proposal and to make their comments known. Representatives of the City and Harvard Developments will be available to answer questions and hear your comments.